Benefits of Gallbladder Removal Surgery – Gallbladder removal surgery is the most effective and safest treatment option for preventing and reducing the chances of recurrence of gallstones [solid materials that are formed due to crystallization of bile]. This surgery helps in removing the inflamed gallbladder and prevents the gallstones from affecting the normal function of other organs like the liver and pancreas. Gallstone removal surgery can be recommended by many doctors as it is best for treating & preventing both cholesterol gallstones and pigment gallstones.
Types of Gallbladder Removal Surgery:
Your surgeon can recommend two types of gallbladder removal surgeries which are open surgery and laparoscopic surgery. They both have a success rate of 85% to 90%. However, laparoscopic gallbladder removal surgery is preferred by most of the patients due to its advantages over open gallbladder removal surgery.
- Open surgery involves making a large incision on your right side of the abdomen to remove the gallbladder. Once the gallbladder is removed, this large incision or cut will be stitched. You can notice the presence of a scar at the incision site after a few weeks or months of the surgery.
- Laparoscopic gallbladder surgery involves making a few small incisions or cuts on your abdomen through which a laparoscopy will be inserted to check and evaluate the condition of your gallbladder. Once the gallbladder is removed through the small incisions with the help of advanced surgical instruments, your surgeon will stitch all the cuts on your abdomen. A few of the advantages of laparoscopic gallbladder removal surgery are: less cutting of the skin & tissues, lesser chance of infection, lesser hospital stay, no large & deep incision, and faster recovery from the surgery.
Benefits of Gallbladder Removal Surgery:
Every medical surgery has benefits, risks, and complications including gallbladder removal surgery. However, risks and complications associated with gallbladder removal surgery are less significant than its benefits. This surgery can be recommended by most doctors in case you start showing noticeable symptoms of gallstones, and if gallstones affect surrounding organs and ducts. Here are the benefits of gallbladder removal surgery.
Treats gallstones permanently:
Even if you have gallstones, you cannot show any symptoms as they can go undetected for years. Over time, gallstones can cause serious health concerns as they keep growing in size. Once noticeable symptoms are detected, your doctor can recommend gallbladder removal surgery for preventing the complications and recurrence of gallstones. Gallbladder removal surgery is a safe and best treatment option.
Cures gallbladder cancer:
Your doctor can suggest you consult an Oncologist in case you are suffering from gallbladder cancer. Depending on the severity of your gallbladder cancer, your Oncologist can suggest you undergo gallbladder removal surgery to stop the spread of cancer to other or surrounding healthy organs.
Prevents gallstone ileus: If gallstones are left untreated, they can spread to the intestine and can block it. This condition is called gallstone ileus. To treat gallstone ileus and to prevent further complications, your doctor can recommend gallbladder removal surgery.
Inflammation of gallbladder & pancreas can be treated:
In case gallstones block your pancreatic ducts and bile ducts, you can suffer from inflammation of the pancreas [pancreatitis] and inflammation of gallbladder [cholecystitis]. To treat these conditions, gallbladder removal surgery is the best and safest option rather than medications and lifestyle changes.
Cures jaundice due to gallstones:
You can suffer from jaundice if gallstones block your bile ducts. If this is not treated, your overall health condition can be affected and causes serious complications. Gallbladder removal surgery can prevent the blockage of bile ducts by gallstones and treats jaundice.
Controls and reduces the spread of infection:
If you have unexplained fever or chills, then it can be an indication of the infection in your body. Gallstones can cause infection and can affect your gallbladder. If this infection is left untreated, it can spread all over your body and becomes life-threatening.
Relieves severe and sharp pain:
Severe and sharp pain in the upper right section of your abdomen can be a major symptom of gallstones. This pain can radiate to the back of the shoulder and chest as well. Removing the gallbladder can reduce the occurrence of this pain which can be persistent, and also reduce the chances of gallstones complications.
Reduces vomiting & nausea:
Nausea & vomiting are common symptoms of all types of gallbladder problems. In case you are suffering from a chronic gallbladder disease, you may notice acid reflux and gas. So, gallbladder removal surgery can free you from nausea, vomiting, gas, and acid reflux. Furthermore, to get rid of minor diseases schedule an appointment with Top GP in Dubai.
When to consult the doctor:
If you start noticing any of the following signs and symptoms of gallstones even after a gallbladder removal surgery, you should immediately contact your doctor for further assistance.
Severe and sharp pain in the upper right side of the abdomen
- Fever and chills within a week after the surgery
- Vomiting and diarrhea
- Bleeding or discharge of pus from the surgical site or the incision sites
- Pale colored stools
To avoid the recurrence of symptoms of gallstones after the surgery, your doctor will recommend the following instructions.
- Avoid eating high fatty food items like pizza, fried chips, and french fries, etc.
- Add low-fat foods to your diet along with fiber-rich foods like watermelons, carrots, sweet potatoes, cabbages, and brown rice, etc.
- Use medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- Avoid keeping pressure on the stitches.
- Perform simple and easy exercises daily for about 20-30 minutes.
- Rest for at least a week after the surgery to boost your healing process.
- You should not smoke or drink alcohol and caffeinated beverages as they can slow your recovery process by affecting the healing of your wounds.
Only after you start showing symptoms of gallstones, your doctor will recommend undergoing gallbladder removal surgery. This surgery helps in treating and avoiding the symptoms of gallstones such as pancreatitis, inflammation of the gallbladder, sharp & severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, and vomiting, etc. Once your gallbladder is removed, bile will directly dip into the intestine for digestion of food, and due to this, you may suffer from discomfort for a few weeks. By following all the suggestions provided by your doctor, you can enhance your healing process and can recover quickly. However, before undergoing gallbladder removal surgery, you should discuss with your doctor about the benefits, risks, and complications that are associated with the surgery.
Also, You can find more helpful resources at Prohealthsite.
- MORE INFO:- thegorgeousbe
Top 7 Frequently Asked Questions about Implantation Bleeding
Introduction Is it your imagination, or are you more tired than usual? Are you going to the bathroom more often,…
Beautybybie’s Bride to BiE kit : Must have Bridal Skincare Kit
You’ve made it through the fun part of your engagement and now it’s time to get into the nitty-gritty of…